Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Broken foot, berries & blogging

Now that my foot is feeling a little better I have had more energy in the evenings after a full day at work. For a while it was all I could do just to get through the day so I could come home and take something for the pain. Thankfully those days have passed! I did find out yesterday that I need to wear my lovely "shoe" for a total of 4 - 6 weeks. I can then try to stand/walk without it for support. Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since I broke my foot.

Our raspberries were late in coming this year. We are enjoying a nice little "crop" this past week. Hopefully they will continue to produce for a while yet. Morgan has been so diligent to pick them for me when the ground is muddy. (I don't want to get my "shoe" too dirty because I have to wear it both inside & outside.) Last night I deemed the soil dry enough and I did the picking. I got a huge bowl full - the best picking so far (approx. 7 cups). While the ground was dry I think that the activity was a bit much for my poor foot. I barely slept a wink all night. I foolishly thought that maybe I could mow the grass if I did small areas at a time. After the night I had last night I have changed my mind.

Morgan has been attending an "Elements of Acting" class the past 2 weeks out at the college. It is part of the "Summer Arts Academy". She has been busy every night learning her lines for a performance that they will have for parents/etc. on Friday at noon. She seems to have one of the main parts & had to be "off book" (everything memorized) by today. I am thankful that the performance is scheduled during the noon hour - very thoughtful of Sommer at the academy!

Earlier this month Paul spent 2 weeks here in Fergus doing some projects, buying burial plots, driving the boat for hours of tubing fun on Hoot Lake, and taking a little "vacation" from farm work & trucking. It was a good break for him. (Thanks, Paul, for sanding & leveling my patio block sidewalk - no more tripping on the corners of the blocks for us & it looks great!) Unfortunately Paul's "good time" was over the moment he arrived back at the farm. Lightening had struck and took out 2 phases of the 3 phase electricity. The stench was overwhelming when he got to the house. There was only a "trickle" of electricity coming into the house - not even enough to fully light a lightbulb. The refridgerator & freezer were NASTY!! The fridge was so bad (things growing all over the walls, etc.) that they just hauled it out. (It was that same old gold colored one from probably the 70's.) He has replaced the fridge but I believe that he had/has to clean up the chest freezer in the garage. Poor Paul!

2 comments:

THE BREIDUNG BLOG said...

It was nice to read through all your blogs...ours is a little behind too...Al & Con were over last weekend and enjoyed looking at everyone's blog...maybe they will get a computer someday! Hope your foot feels better soon!!

Pat said...

Poor Paul, what a way to finally replace the farm refridgerator! Even the freezer, might be hard to get the smell out, yuk!

It was good that he had his little vacation though and that he was around to give the kids some boating fun & you blocks layed.

I was critical of your not blogging and found it fun to catch up.

Next we get on Shana....but sounds as if they have been busy getting Jamie started in Rice Lake....go Jamie!

Love,
Mom